I suggest you ...

Add people to shifts, not shifts to people

Create a shift and assign people to a shift rather than giving each person an individual shift.

162 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brett HarrisBrett Harris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As well as have a schedule pattern so that we can assign the staff to a pattern or one occurrence.

• BrendaBrenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I schedule for multiple labs and functions within those labs and use the group feature to identify those staff members who are trained for each area. We assign different colors to different labs and functions as it makes it easy for staff to see where they are working. When you name the team you can identify your staffing minimums. I actually keep a spreadsheet with staffing rules as a reminder in excel of who can be assigned where and a set of logical steps because each supervisor has their own rules. I also track the requests I have received by month, in case I loose information. Since there is no undo feature it is easy to paste a four day shift over a previously scheduled vacation and then you cannot undo it. For this reason I do not allow access to all supervisors I just have one back up otherwise everyone else has read access only and all requests go through me. I update the schedule on Thursdays. If an area has minimal staffing and a vacation is requested I defer to the supervisor to approve or deny and speak with the employee but if we are fully staffed I go ahead and approve the requests. We are now working in a live environment so that the staff can view who is on vacation on any given day. They can see for themselves that the day after thanksgiving is a big day for staff vacations and can see they likely will not get an approval. We not only can track to make sure all employees have assignments during their scheduled times but we also can enter where competency testing is due using the out of office custom entries.

• Gabe MontoyaGabe Montoya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue I'm running into is how to divide and designate the different computer labs. So far, I've added all employees to the team and then created a group for each computer lab. However, now I have to enter each member's name again and list them all in each group.
        - I would like to suggest that there is an ability to create shifts and then assign shifts to members.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of the applications we have used group by Assignment. An assignment is a Description of the work and a time period. This allows us to create needed assignments and allows people to be scheduled into those assignments, or bid on those assignment. Example:
        Monday 8p-5a Officer
        Monday 8p-5a Driver
        Monday 9p-5a Crew

Tuesday 5a-1p Officer
        Tuesday 5a-1p Driver
        Tuesday 5a-1p Crew

By defining an assignment at Level 1 instead of a Person, we can build our needed shifts first - then visually add people later - better understanding overlap.

Additional benefits
        Assignment Staffing Requirements, forecasting, over under reporting(Cost benefit analysis)
        Opportunity Bids - post a shift and let people select

Assignment Requirements - Certification/License levels - DO you have ServSafe(No - this bid is not available)

Given the choices made - I doubt this change could be implemented as it is a significant change to the scheduling model already chose.

• CodyCody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the way shift work works!! You don't have slots that need filled, and put people in them. If this was set up this way you could easily see where the gaps in your schedule are. And things would naturally fall in chronological order.

• Steve JeffersonSteve Jefferson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or if keeping the current approach, allow a list of editable shifts to pick from. The current shifts are new entries each time and seem to disappear even from search so you can't manage that shift as an object.

Feedback and Knowledge Base